FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Conversations and New Region

What I have learned trying to establish relationships with Russian professionals, is some cultural differences are beyond logic..After contacting 4 well established Russian owned, yet expat supported preschools...NOTHING

After contacting countless resource agencies, non-profits (both US and Russian based)  NOTHING

After getting a lead or two, even through friends, NOTHING

This is the culture of Russia. There is a basic level of trust that is absent. I want nothing but a conversation, yet it feels like I am asking for a state secret.
I spent years dealing with Russian officials while adopting. There was one big difference, they wanted money, and would move mountains to make sure they got mine..When it's a simple favor or act of random kindness, not so much...
So, I am moving onto Romania..

___________________________________________________________________
Information on Poverty in Romania:
Low agricultural productivity is one of the main causes of poverty in rural Romania. Poor small-scale farmers do not have the collateral to secure loans that would enable them to invest in agricultural inputs and equipment to improve their incomes. And in rural areas there are limited opportunities for formal employment opportunities, partly because of minimum wage regulations, high payroll taxes and the rigid labour code. Inadequate social services, reflected in the poor condition of rural health centers, long distances to schools and poor sanitation facilities, also contribute to rural poverty.
Reference: IFAD

IFAD’s strategy in Romania focused on supporting rural credit services so that farmers could invest in inputs and equipment, and develop on-farm and off-farm opportunities for generating income. The objective was to improve rural people’s incomes and standards of living, reducing rural poverty.


3 comments:

  1. I was excited to read your post very infomative I know it is a hard time to get in contact with someone but I think if we keep trying we will get someone. How many time have you contact them. This is the culture of Russia. I did not know Russia was like that but after reading your post I did gain some type of information for me to add to my library, I did not know that they had trust issues see that why this blog is amazing it give us opportunity for educator to gain knowledge of what we have learned about other educator in other countries, look forward reading your post next week
    Temika Mccann
    www.walden 2014 , Green, J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julianne -
    It is amazing how some countries view questions for outside their own. Sorry you couldn't get in touch with someone in Russia. I wish you luck in continuing to try. Have you tried reaching out to the US Embassy there and see if someone there could help?
    I like what you discussed about Romania focusing on the credit support for farmers. It seems that would be a great way to help provide farmers the crop materials and equipment needed to gain income to support their families. Very interesting post.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Gena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had trouble when contacting family in Cuba.It is a combination of having access to the internet and the country monitoring the use of the internet. I had to opt for option 2 this week. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete