FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Magical Sea

I have often considered an area of research concerning the secure attachment in adopted children through the use of water therapy, specifically, the ocean therapy..I have never read about this, and because this is so specific, I almost doubt that the research is out there.
The area of attachment for adopted children often leads to false diagnosis, inappropriate medications being prescribed, behavior therapy, and at the most tragic end, the disruption of the adoption...

Our family has spent our summers in Florida since becoming a part of the adoption world..When I adopted the first time, my daughter and I spent hours together floating in the ocean..For hours. And the time we spent together seemed to solidify our union..I always said, there is magic in the sea. And I still believe it..
This weekend, we are in Florida for our family reunion. And once again our little family is together splashing in the waves, sitting in the sand, and doing a lot of starring into the sea, the magical sea..If I had all the time and money in the world, I would develop a program for struggling adoptive families, or any family that may have experienced intense stressors or trauma. The magic of the ocean needs to be put into a scientific equation to help develop trust, and build attachment..
from many years ago..building our love of the sea, and each other


This is the basis of my belief...The sea is magical and helps heal..


creating a sisterly bond...
And all these years later...
2014

4 comments:

  1. Julianne,

    What a beautiful story! Your thoughts on secure attachment in the adoption world is so new, but interesting to me. The sea/beach offers serenity to me and hope you make many more memories with your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Julz. The sea is magical. There are several programs for kids with autism that make use of this special kind of magic with surfing. I am a sea lover and relish the time I get to spend by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in many ways it is a lot more complicated than that - i.e. people think of things as relating to attachment, that are actually responses to early trauma - learned behaviors related to neglect, etc. However, that said, if you think of attachment only, you may have something. I remember Christie Minich writing about spending hours in the pool when she was adopting her last daughter from disruption. Being in the water also facilitates that skin to skin contact that is so important in a way that is socially more acceptable and "do-able".

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story of your experience with adoption, it warms my heart! Being a massage therapist, I studied how water and colors change the mindset or feelings of people who are and have had challenging circumstances happen. It is known that the soothing sounds and feel of water will help individuals bond and become comfortable with one another. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete