FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Culture and Diversity

I have loads of friends who are from different countries, faiths, and points of view...
Most think that culture is about Where they come from..What their family finds valuable..And Why families hold these beliefs...

Some of my friends face micro-agression as indicated by Dr. Sue. Most on a basic level, by well meaning friends. I have always heard adoptive parents speak of the comments made to them, but honestly I have never been affected by those comments. Beleive me, I hear them too.

--WOW, your daughters look like they could be your REAL daughters.---
How much did you pay for your daughter?---
---Couldn't you adopt in American?---
---Do your daughters know their real mom?---

But being the comments come from well meaning people, I let it go..AND because these microaggressions are the least of who I am, I let them go..I am so much more than an adopted mother, and the comments are mild at best..I haven't faced them all my life, nor do people make them unless they know I am an adoptive mother, which is my choice to share...So, as Pete the Cat says, "I am allll goooood."

2 comments:

  1. Julianne, I found your post to be really interesting. I can understand what you are talking about with the micro-aggression. I have not personally had to deal with that experience. Do the questions that get asked of your friends ever have a negative effect on their children? Do the children understand when these questions get asked about them? Thank you for sharing what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julianne, Thank you for sharing your experience. I find that people are just curious and really don't know how to approach or question thing that they know nothing about. What I truly admire in you is that you don't let comments or ignorance change your perspective! I too have learned how to let things go! It works to my advantage and keeps me well rounded not to dwell on minor things!

    ReplyDelete