FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Saturday, March 29, 2014

PLAY TIME!










The Essential Toys of a Florida Child of the 70's into the 80's~




You had to change into "Play Clothes", and of course your mother had to redo your hair before you went out....

In Florida, you better be near a pool..
Family Support of Play

 I wasn't encouraged to play. I was ordered to play. When we all arrived home from school, it was a standing order to change our clothes and GET OUT! We had boundaries in our neighborhood, and we stayed well within them. Mom locked the door, and we went to her window when we needed something. It was blissful! She called us in near dark, and we went in and straight to the bath..Supper after, and a little bit of family time, then off to bed. We loved our friends and all of the parents made sure that no one was left to play on their own. We were a big gang of muck lovers, and are still friends to this day!

It's rare to see kids outdoors like it was when I was a child. My family is lucky to live on a child filled cul-de-sac, so my girls do play outdoors. With families not knowing their neighbors, and living in apartments the physical landscape of homes is so different. Kids now a days live for television and video games.

I was a busy child. Always outside, always doing something "pretend." My parents encouraged us to play and enjoy being outside, even if we only had our bikes..

2 comments:

  1. Julz,

    You brought back pleasant memories with the pictures you posted on toys, I remember the light brite and spell and check, they were great games, that was our version of electronics back then. Its nice to know that you were told to go outside and play and that it was encouraged. I encourage my kids to go outdoors as well and they love it, its frustrating sometimes to see the kids locked onto the tv for hours and before you know it, its dark and it's time for dinner, shower and then bed time. I enjoyed looking at your family photos, it's the blogs that we learn more about our fellow classmates and their thoughts and experiences. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing !!! I was born in the70's I can relate to everything you said!!! I was also ordered to go outside and PLAY!!!! I loved every minute of it. We rode our bikes and made up games till the streetlights came home then you could hear everyone's parents calling them not on cell phones but yelling names.I miss the days.

    ReplyDelete