FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Sunday, June 22, 2014

How We Celebrate Beginnings and Endings

We are in HIGH graduation season around the United States. My family is doubly involved. Last week my daughter graduated from her elementary school, and this week my kindergarteners have their big celebration. When I say it has consumed our team, I am not just saying it. Every day we practice, everyday we make little things here or there, and I am delighted at what we will present, but every bone in my body aches.  We want this for our parents. We want them to see how big this milestone is.. We want our little ones to shine and be adorable singing their little songs...

Meanwhile in Russia, the celebrations look a bit different. We have a saying, "a dog and pony show" that fits for both American and Russian celebrations, What do you think about the Russian version?
I adore it..I like the idea of bringing together a small group of children. In our school we will put together a show for 90 children. It's big, and overwhelming for the teachers. (When I say I have blisters, cuts, burns, and body aches from the preparation I am not kidding!)
 Here is a family as they journey through the special day of Kindergarten Graduation.
*This is a lovely day for this family, and we learn by the father's comments in the beginning that even in Russia, this is a touching time for families. Children in more developed programs in larger areas in Russia go to a Kindergarten as young as 2 and stay until they are finishing when they are six years old. They begin elementary school at around aged seven. I love this idea.
If US schools could develop "Kindergartens" at the state level for 3, 4, 5 AND 6 year olds, we would have a better chance at keeping our children little, and keeping our programs for age appropriate!



I love the idea of a toast at the end offered by the director... Really seems like all families are involved. **All Russian cities do not have this type of program, and this is for one group of students at this particular school. I love how formal some parts are, and that they share a meal..Just lovely!

5 comments:

  1. Julianne,
    The video was such a great way of sharing a new cultural concept! I had no idea how structured early education was for some children in Russia. Is the concept of “kindergartens” common across many areas of the country? You mentioned how this structure is not available for all areas, but I am curious to know if it is more common than not. Do you know if the program that Vika attended a private program, or set up by her state?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julianne -
    What an amazing video of this cultures school life. Vika seemed very happy and all the children seemed to really enjoy being with one another especially at the meal they shared at the end of the program.
    I thought it was neat that they too complete graduations at the end of May because of families going on vacation. Their graduation programs consist of rhymes, songs, just as the ones here in the US and most of the time we share a type of meal, but how wonderful to see that their meal really allows the focus to remain on being for the children.
    Thanks so much for sharing. You have really enlighten me on how things are in Russia.
    Gena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julianne,
    The video was such informative I gained new insight that I was not aware of I really enjoyed how they share their meals is amazing. I was shock to know how structured early education was for some kids Russia. I thought Russia has some things in common how they also have a graduation and how much they put into their graduation to make sure that their parents our happy I thought that was cool thing to do. I like to thank you for sharing the video. I never being to Russia but reading your post make me feel like I am there excellent job Julianne have a great week.
    Temika McCann
    Week 7

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this was wonderful to see!!! I enjoyed getting a real glimpse of what education looks like in another country. I didn't realize that this stage of development was so celebrated in Russia!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julianne,
    I enjoyed the video very much to see what other cultures do for special occasions was very interesting.
    I regards to the graduation celebrations I have wondered really what is it all about. Is this really for and about the child or is it for the parents? In the US and other places it is made such a big deal. What do the children have to look forward to in way of feeling accomplished in the future. Will they and the parents feel they must do it bigger and better next time? In the school I was teaching at this past year the little girls got their hair and nails done as if they were going to Prom. And the dresses were cute and the boys all dressed up in little suits. I do wonder what really are we teaching the children to make such a fuss over graduation from pre-school or kindergarten to another grade. I am not saying we ignore the accomplishments of the children's hard work but in a way that does not have so much "folderol" about it. Of course this is just my humble opinion and in no way am I meaning to sound critical of the school and parents who choose to celebrate in this way. But for me the question remains "Who are we doing all this for?"

    I do love the idea of not beginning what we would call formal school until 7 years old. We do have the kind of kindergarten or preschool that begins at 2 and goes through age 6 it is called Montessori Children;s House (school) Many Montessori schools do allow the students to stay through Kindergarten and eve into higher grades. Although I know it is not available to everyone this is a great way for a child to begin their developmental journey

    ReplyDelete