FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Friday, June 27, 2014

International Contacts and Goals

Considerations through study of Russian Early Childhood Programs and Practices:
1)While spending time researching the methods and trends in early childhood practices in Russia, I can't help but consider the similarities when thinking of inequity in the United States. While some programs in both countries are stellar, some are far below standards and survive based solely on the generosity of a few. The programs that excel are those in larger areas, supported by private dollars, and based on the cultural expectations of the surrounding areas.

Inequity can be devastating for children in rural areas in both the US and Russia. Those are the areas that are least supported by government or private dollars. At times, there are no options available for rural families.

2) While reading and sharing information with my Russian friends, parents, and teachers who live in Russia, I realize that I am still passionate about the country. I am still interested in family structures, how young children learn, and what the program of studies looks like in a Russian preschool. I have often wondered if phonics is an issue, if play is a factor, and if teachers are compelled to assess the very young children like we are forced to do in US kindergartens???

3) Through basic study of the language and it's translation, I understand that there is a variance in how children formulate sentence structure, and the basics of sound letter relationships are vastly different. In a smalllllllll way, Russian is somewhat easier. (Obviously if its the first language). Sounds are sounds, either hard or soft, and words are words. No special rules such as we have with our vowels..Long A, short a, sound diagraphs and blends such as (au   ai   oa   ay)  ...I wonder if the children in Russia have less trouble learning to write as there are some hard-fast rules that make it easier for the children to begin writing...


Professional Goal Associated with the Study of Russian Early Childhood Trends in Early Childhood Programs and Practices

I have studied Russian preschools, elementary schools, and the education system for 10 years. My interest has always been personal as I would love to teach in Russia. I would love to write a paper on early childhood education and how the country educates it's orphans with a focus on those with disabilities.





2 comments:

  1. Hello Julianne Green
    I really enjoyed your post this week you have brought out some vital information that can e of a good help to me as I continue on journey in early childhood I learned so much about Russia very informative. I was shock how you mention that some program excel over another and that is due to the fact some programs are I large area wow I thought that was vital because I was able to see the different what of programs go through on a daily. I never been to Russia but your post make you feel like you are in Russia. During your research on Russia what part do you enjoyed finding the information or do you like to contact someone? I will Wait for answer have a great week . I like to thank you for sharing you information and hope you have great summer. Temika Mccann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed your posts about Russia. The culture is different but some of the challenges in ECE seem to be the same. I hope you do get to teach there one day and let us know what you have found.

    ReplyDelete