FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Saturday, November 14, 2015

An Observation

       This week, I chose to observe a teacher/student interaction. This week our math resource teacher worked in my classroom to introduce a math game. She used several techniques to extend the children’s language (Rainer-Dangei & Durden, 2010). 

     The teacher, Mrs. ***********, began with a demonstration of the game. She asked me to choose a student to play with her. During the game, the little girl was shy and nervous. I had not anticipated this. The goal of the game is to match domino cards to their number on a board. As the card is placed, the players have to say, “I count 9, I need the 9 card.” (Or) “I count 9, I do not need a 9 card.”  Each time, the student I chose, would count, but forget the words to say. Mrs. Johnson would look at her and the shrug her shoulders. Sometimes she would say, “Class, what should ***** say?”  Each time, I wanted to rescue my student, and help her. Her facial expression seemed afraid and embarrassed. Her voice near to a whisper. This is a bright child who normally raises her hand and shares with smiles. I was mad at myself that I had not chosen a different child.

      Research notes the impact that the changing notion of childhood has had on policies. Silin’s article suggests that we reflect on research and consider strategies that we must reconsider (2005 & 2008). We as educators are asked to consider new frameworks based on the complexity of the world in which our students live and learn. As I reflect on the lesson, I wonder if the math resource teacher has reflected on best practices for early learners.

       It appears that the chosen student was too nervous to produce the words she needed to say. A gentler approach may have helped. Maybe I rescue my students. Maybe I don’t allow that tense silent period..
I allow for wait time, but when I see the blush come over my students’ faces, I often give them a life line. Example: “Do you want to think about it a little more?” “Do you want someone to help you?”

Resources
Rainer Dangei, J., & Durden, T. R. (2010). The nature of teacher talk during small group activities. YC: Young Children, 65(1), 74-81. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Education Research Complete database. http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=47964033&site=ehost-live&scope=site
Silin, J. G. (2005 and 2008). Who can speak? Silence, voice and pedagogy. In: Yelland, N. (Ed.) Critical issues in early childhood education. (p 81). Berkshire, Great Britain: McGraw-Hill Education. Retrieved from:http://site.ebrary.com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/lib/waldenu/docDetail.action?docID=10175188

1 comment:

  1. Julz I love when teachers create a fun and energetic environment with their students it makes learning fun!!!! I love your background also it looks very awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete