FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Week 2

2013-14 School Picture



I am especially fond of a million quotes about school, children, families, and learning. I am a kindergarten teacher so most of my thoughts link to warm fuzzy quotes. I have several favorites that I will share...

“Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children, play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.”
- Fred Rogers
 
“When you know better you do better.”
Maya Angelou
“In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra. ”
Fran Lebowitz
 
 
******************************************************
It's Time To Sleep, My Love
In the first few months of kindergarten, our little ones rest. They bring blankets and sometime they even bring little snuggly toys. And everyday, I read this story, twice as the children rest and become still for the first time. The words are melodic and tender, and after several weeks, I begin to see the children as their eyes slowly blink, and their mouths softly say the words along with me. And friends, that is magic. That is the magic that keeps me in the classroom after 23 years.
 
 
 
What truly fuels my passion for teaching young learners is far more difficult to put into my own words. The words of my students keep me laughing, crying, and returning..
The words of my little "C" whose glasses are always hovering on the tip of her nose bring such inner joy and appreciation for my job, she tells me everyday, "Ms. Green your yutiful."
Then there are the students from years before who come back everyday and tell me they miss kindergarten, not just me, but the whole idea of kindergarten. The place that is full of color and wonder and glitter and paint.
There was my little Muslim student who wanted to be "big" so she wore a scarf to cover her head each day. But her efforts were always beyond her, and she would take it off and swirl it around like the loveliest high flying balloon. I reminded her often that she could be big later...
And then there was the little guy who struggled with his parents separation. And he fought himself and me, and anyone who came near him on his heartache days. We worked hard to get ourselves through that. And I miss him. I worry about him..Not that he won't do better and be better, but that he won't have a soft place to fall, if by chance he does fall..
The stories, the faces, the words, the families, the heartaches, the joy, the blessings..That's why we do it..That's why I teach..
 

4 comments:

  1. "She could be big later..." Forgive me, as I have now added this to my repertoire. :) It is a great message for children and adults, and reminds me of a couple of my favorite quotes:

    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
    Khalil Gibran

    Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.
    Mother Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julz,
    First I must say I love your blog page, it's creative and very colorful. I too love to read to my children during nap time. They enjoy Sleepy Bears and you are so right, after a while they actually began to recite word for word in the story before falling fast asleep. Another book that the children enjoy as well is "The Very Lonely Firefly" by Eric Carle. They love to see the group of fireflies flashing their lights at the end of the story, I usually deem the lights just a bit so the children can see the full affect of the flashing lights.

    I also enjoyed reading you quotes Mayo Angelou is also one of my favorite poets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Fred Rogers quote; play is absolutely essential. I cringe when I hear parents making statements such as "I think they have too much time dedicated to play; they should focus more on academics." Play gives children the opportunity to make discoveries, mistakes, and connections while also learning the complexities of socialization, and self-regulation. These are not things that can be taught in a purely academic setting where the risks are high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julianne,
    I absolutely love and relate to your quote about algebra. I always hated it and could never understand why I needed to know it all. That made me laugh. I love how real you are in your posts. Your words on why you teach are truly impactful and beautiful. I know how special it can be to see children who you had the wonderful and magical chance of impacting for a time come back and share with you their love and misses. I think that is such a rewarding experience. My heart is always thinking of the little ones who I never hear from again. Working with the homeless population can be tough and challenging, once a child leaves the safety of our building with their family I never know if I will ever see them again. That definitely encourages me to make every moment I have with them count. Every second I have to remind them that they are special and loved I try to use to the fullest. That is the beauty and the hardship of teaching. You seem to understand and love that. We need more teachers like you!

    ReplyDelete