FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Words of Inspiration and Motivation


“What children can do with the assistance of others is even more indicative of their mental development than what they can do alone.”  Vygotsky, Mind in Society, 1978

 
 
"I am not here to save the world, I am here just to make a difference in the community that I am working."
"One little sparkle will make a difference for me."
Raymond Hernandez M.S. Ed.
Executive Director, School of Early Childhood Education
University of Southern California
 



*It's hard not to agree with Raymond Hernandez. Sometimes, we all need just a little bit of sparkle.



References


Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010). The passion for early childhood [Video webcast].  In Foundations of early
 
               childhood studies. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?
 
               tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%
 
               3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_2098772_1%26url%3D
 

Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes.

              (M.Cole, V. John-Steiner, Scribner, & E. Souberman, Eds.). Cambridge, Massachusetts:

              Harvard University Press.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you chose to include "I am not here to save the world, I am here just to make a difference in the community that I am working." It is so easy to get lost in worrying about making a difference on a larger scale that smaller actions begin to look and feel insignificant. This is a nice "grounding" quote to remind us that every action and interaction, no matter how large or small, matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the video you included on the Vygotskian model of learning. I utilize this process daily in my work with children from 2-6 years of age. I think that the reason that it works so well is because it is a fit for every student. Each individual can be prodded to surpass their current level of understanding at a pace that is most conducive to their learning style. I am lucky in that I can give my children a great deal of one-on-one time which also leads to impressive successes when following this model of teaching. Thank you for introducing me to others who employ these time-tested methods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julianne
    I liked your quote by Vygotsky, Mind in Society...Far to many of our children who have been labeled with a mental disability are being left behind in the cracks because no one took the time to give them the assistance they needed in order to be able to succeed.

    ReplyDelete