FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Saturday, July 18, 2015

3 Strategies

This week we are tasked to think about the cultural diversity we see in our colleagues at school, in our neighborhood, in our workplace, and also, possibly, within our family.  We are to consider all the aspects that make up culture, including race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, varying abilities, and so on.

The question we are to ask is;
Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?

To answer this honestly, I would say yes, I do communicate differently with different groups. I can eliminate political affiliations and sexual orientation as those are not groups that I have awareness of, therefore I don’t respond to those groups differently.

When having conversations with those of religions different than my own, I try to remember the cultural norms of that group. I try to be respectful of their cultural beliefs surrounding their religion, and mirror the family’s method of communication.

Three strategies you could use to help you communicate more effectively with the people or groups you have identified:

1.    Don’t assume that helping children is makes them too dependent! Modeling is a strong strategy!   (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010). 
2.    Consider asking more questions than you normally would, in order to clarify meaning and messages (Beebe, Beebe,& Redmond, 2011). 
3.    We must remember that self-reflection and consideration of the contextual nature of the communication event is mandatory (Vuckovic, 2008).


Reference
 Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010). 50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.


Vuckovic, A. (2008). Inter-cultural communication: A foundation of communicative action. Multicultural Education and Technology Journal, 2(1), 47–59.

2 comments:

  1. Julianne,
    I agree that asking questions is a good way to gain information. I would also include offering information as well. I think that if we are open about ourselves, we are forming relationships and gathering more information about cultural differences. If we are to ask questions then it is equally important to be a good listener. If you want to be an effective communicator you should be able to do both. As we are learning there are so many strategies to help communicate better with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely important that people are respectful of others when communicating especially in the early education field. I have to remember that even though I have a great relationship with my parents, I have to be mindful of what i say to them while I am at work still.

    ReplyDelete