FINAL COURSE CAPSTONE

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Watching The New Girl 2 Times!

This week we are tasked to watch a show without sound to describe what we think is happening. I chose a show I used to watch (Don't watch television too much lately, only Youtube). I chose New Girl. It is a comedy based on the roommates. Think about a mixture between, Three's Company mixed in with a little of The Office, with some hints of I Love Lucy antics.  

What do you think the characters' relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating?
I haven't seen this in well over a year, so there are some new characters. It appears that there is a new friend joining the group. And I couldn't tell what is happening in the second part of the story. I was very confused.
What are they feeling and expressing based on the nonverbal behavior you are observing?
The group is all over the place. It doesn't appear to be funny. Part of it seems silly, yet I have no idea what is happening. 




Then I watched the show with the sound turned on.

What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed?
Ok, so I get it now. The "new friend" is actually the sister of the main character. The second storyline involves one person trying to get a job after failing the police academy exam. This entire storyline looked serious and dramatic, but when hearing the dialogue I can tell it is all silly with tons of jokes and sarcastic remarks.Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well?
This is a show I used to know well, so NO it doesn't help. I couldn't tell what the show was presenting at all.

4 comments:

  1. Julianne
    It is amazing to me the amount of knowledge that comes from both nonverbal and verbal communication. I also found this assignment interesting because it shows how hard it really is to read someone based on nonverbal and the misconceptions that can be made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julianne,

    This show does seem confusing on mute. The body language actually seems sarcastic and "whatever kind of feeling. The body language in this show can be confusing at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julianne,
    I understand about you could not tell what was going on in the show when there was no sound. I have started doing this muting the sound when I am up feeding my grandchild. The non-verbal communication is sometime hard to read until you turn the volume back on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually watch shows with no sound often. When Im doing an assignment I tend to put the television on mute, and watch it this way. I thin doing this has strengthen my ability to read body language. Im suprised how ones body language can be so strong that they not need verbal sues

    ReplyDelete